Monday, November 8, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 16

Sunday was spent going to Mass where the priest's homily revolved around making analogies to people and pumpkins and how, like pumpkins, God scoops out the 'bad' stuff inside and fills the emptiness with light after carving a great big smile so the world will see the 'light' of Christ within us.  I kept thinking that the 'bad' insides were what makes up a pumpkin pie - and that many pumpkins sport scary faces instead of smiles.  I guess I lost the analogy somewhere along the way...

After Mass, Gemma, Manny and I joined Gemma's parents for coffee and scones at the local cafe - Cate's Cafe across the street - a post-Mass tradition of the family - after viewing the display of photos and mementos of lost loved ones setting by the sacristy.  November is the month to honor the dead and Gemma had lost one of her children at age 10.  There were also photos of American Indian friends who had passed on that Gemma knew through the years.

We had a tradtional meal of corned beef, cabbage and potatos for dinner.  I barely made my train back to Belfast, the last that evening, and cannot wait to return to Donabate in the near future.  The two hour trip home seemed much longer than that given a group of drunk students behind me kept repeating the "How ya doin'" phrase from on of the Friends episodes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment