Sunday, November 28, 2010

Les Hannah, day 53, part 1

I had the day off from the school because of the speech I am scheduled to deliver to a meeting of the Rotary at noon. I did, nonetheless, go to the school during morning to use the server connection to upload some things back home. The school’s Internet connection is more reliable than what I use at the flat. I was there for a couple of hours working before I headed back to the flat to drop off some materials and gather what I needed for the presentation.
I walked to Soren’s (Pia’s husband) company. It was his chapter of Rotary where I spoke at their lunch meeting today. I was welcomed and introduced around to the membership. Several of them I had already met at other functions; recall the concert from several postings ago – that was connected with the Rotary as a fund raising event to help raise money for Polio research. Additionally, another Rotary friend from a different chapter and my eel-eating buddy Claus was there. If Claus and his family make it to Cherokee Country I shall have to host a hog fry or onion dinner in their honor. Claus came as a guest of this Rotary Chapter and to hear me speak.
I must pause here for a moment and acknowledge the hospitality of the Rotarians I have met while here. And while I am certain that it is not a membership requirement that all Rotarians be extremely friendly, it does seem to be a trait here in Esbjerg. Rotary has treated me with great kindness and friendliness during my time here. In particular I wish now to acknowledge the two with whom I have had the most contact and the most fun: Soren and Claus. I have come to think of these two as friends. I have spent a good amount of time with each and thoroughly enjoy their company.
We had a fine lunch, and once again I must also acknowledge the fine food of Denmark. I swear by every menu I have ever ordered from, Denmark has the best food I have ever tasted. I have eaten in France, Germany, Switzerland, the Cherokee Nation – in many parts of the world, and the food here is the best. I wonder what they could do with wild onions and eggs?

No comments:

Post a Comment