Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 33

What a glorious country Wales is and a gorgeous city, Swansea!  I left Belfast very early this morning to catch a flight out of the George Best (famous futball player of the 1970s) Belfast City airport.  I was running late so I decided to opt for a taxi instead of trying to figure out the rail and bus journey that I had mapped out previously.  Upon learning of my home land -- my cabbie had much to say on the topic of the Federal Reserve, George W., poltics, oil, and the economy as well as assorted other topics revolving around Tory's and capitalism.  It made for a long journey considering the hour of the morning and lack of sleep from the night previous.  I'm not sure if I will ever "catch up" with the week-long sleep deprived existence brought on by the gas boiler and unit. 

The trip from Belfast to Cardiff was pleasant and uneventful.  Once the Flybe aircraft arrived in Cardiff, we passengers (all 35 of us -- I know this because the airline hostess shared this bit of information with the attendant on the tarmak) were led around the tarmak to another building where our luggage would arrive momentarily.  From there, I caught a shuttle bus to Rhoose station -- a ten minute journey.  The next leg found me traveling on the rail from Rhoose station into Cardiff Central -- another 45 mintues journey.  Once I arrived at Cardiff Central, I used a self-help ticket machine -- my first go at it -- as I had pre-booked passage from Cardiff to Swansea via the online route.  I had assistance from a gentleman in performing this task -- very simple, by the way -- but he was behind me and obviously in a hurry and my motions were a bit slower than he wished.  As I was reading directions, he would chime in what the next step would be, and so on.  Very helpful people -- the Welsh! 

The train ride from Cardiff to Swansea took almost an hour but it seemed like only minutes -- the scenery was breathtaking with shorelines and lushly covered green pastures and mountain-sides.  Once I had arrived in Swansea, I opted for a taxi (again) instead of trying to figure out the bus schedule.  When the cabbie told me what the fare was, I began to pull out a 20 pound note from my wallet.  Now, for those who may not be familiar with the practice, in Northern Ireland, each bank has their own bills with the name of what ever the banks name is -- splashed across the bill.  It's legal tender, but the cabbie refused to take it.  I guess you can't blame the guy if he was not familiar with the practice.  Thankfully, I had just enough money in change to cover the tab but nothing, save about 10 pence, for a tip.  He dropped me off at the bed and breakfast and sped off.

Once at Chatcoombe, the bed and breakfast near Swansea University that Angela suggested, I settled in quickly and Merle offered some tea.  An opportunity to sip tea?  I'm there!  Much to my surprise and delight, she also proffered a plate of what looked like silver dollar pancakes from IHOP.  These little cakes were Welsh cakes - a lightly sweetened cake with raisins.  I'm still grappling with the decision of whether these are better than scones -- and they may just be!  After explaining my dilemma with the Ulster Bank of Ireland pound situation, she offered to take me in to town.  Actually, her husband Richard would do the driving -- he had to drop off some money at the bank anyway.  So, off Richard, Merle and I went into town.  They took the scenic route -- driving up and down the back roads along the coastline -- reminiscing of their younger years and how they met -- very romantic. 

The bank easily swapped my Ulster Bank money for pounds with the Queen's visage blazened across it -- suitable currency for any respectable cabbie!  I walked around town a bit, purchased some 'Love Spoons' and an umbrella.  You can never have too many umbrellas and I had left mine in Belfast!  I settled for some bangers and mashers and pastry washing it down with diet coke and decided to try the bus line.  According to Merle, the 3A line ran every 1/2 hour and would take me to the Singleton Hospital -- a mere seven minutes' walk from Chatcoombe.  However, by the time I'd finished shopping and eating, it began to get rather cold and dark.  So...characteristic of my past behavior...I opted for a taxi!  And here I sit in my spacious room, looking out the huge window out on my second floor veranda taking in the sights of the water.  I could get used to this life...

A few bits of trivia on Swansea:
-  Swansea has the second largest tidal range in teh world -- and I have a splendid vantage point from my room!
-  The Gower peninsula is the UKs first Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (It gets my vote)
-  Country Life readers voted Three Cliffs bay on the Gower Peninsula as the fourth best view in Britain
-  Swansea people are referred to locally as 'Jacks'.  Swansea Jack was a flat-coated retriever who lived in the City during the 1940s and was reputed to have saved 27 humans and 2 dogs from drowning.  Hwe sas awarded teh canine Victoria Cross for his efforts.
-  Gower's Cefn bryn is 'one of the richest archaeological sites in South Wales'
-  Swansea had the worlds first passenger railway (1807)
-  Worm's Head is reputedly the 7th most photographed sunset in the world. 

I'm off to watch futboll -- Manchester United against Rangers.  Rangers must win to stay in contention for the knockout stage.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment