Friday, November 5, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 14

I awoke to a lovely day - a bit crisp in the air but no precipitation.  Good thing, no precipitation, since my brisk walk to the St. George's Market took about 20 minutes' time.  I found it amazing how few people are up around 8 a.m. in the morning.  The market was a delight of fresh fish, poultry and assorted meats as well as a cornucopia of freshly picked vegetables - many with a fine coating of dirt still attached - some of which I have never seen before.  I just wandered around "oohing and ahhing" at the sheer abundance of food.  Since I'm off to Dublin for the weekend, I thought against actually purchasing any of this fine food - I probably made quite a spectacle of myself ogling the produce, asking an occassional question, and moving on without actually buying anything! 

Afterwards, I spent about another two hours just going from booth to booth looking at the wares.  If you've ever been to the flea market at Admiral circle - it's kind of along that line except 1,000 times better.  I was drawn to a soapstone figure of a bear cub sitting on it's haunches - couldn't quite make out where it was from so I asked -- 'America, I think...possibly Alaska', she says -- @but you'll be wanting something from here like some of our fine crystal or Beleek.'  Nothing spoke to me quite like that bear cub, though - but I held off purchasing it.  Maybe if it's there next week, I'll just have to get it.  I also spied another figure - this one a vintage marmalade tabby manx cat standing on all fours.  It reminded my of my stubbie manx, 'Taz' that I used to have.  And I thought of your two manx kitties - Denette.  The guy selling it said it was made of Ruston pottery - from the Isle of Man.  It was quite expensive but, as with the bear cub - if it's there next week - it's mine!

I'm off to get ready for this evening's ceile - Irish pronunciation ['ce:li] - for some band music and traditional dancing. it's a traditional Gaelic social gathering, which usually involves playing Gaelic folk music and dancing and originated in Ireland and Scotland.  I'm off to Dublin in the morning -- so depending on my accessibility (wifi, etc...) or lack thereof, I may miss a couple of days of posting.  Rest assuredly that as soon as possible, I will catch you all up on the ceile's event and my weekend foray to the Republic of Ireland.  

No comments:

Post a Comment