Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Les Hannah, day 31, part 1

Well people, it rained more during the night. This morning when I awoke the wind was blowing so hard and it was still raining. Actually the wind woke me up around 3am. I lay there awake listening to the rain and wind; during lulls I could hear the dripping of the leak in the sun room. I eventually got up to look and discovered that the leak was worse. There was just as much water in the floor, if not more, than when I returned from Copenhagen. At least the electricity was still on, and I had heat and hot water. So I showered, dressed, and made the cold bike ride into school.
The wind was fierce this morning, whipping around from multiple directions and gusting very hard at times. Made for a difficult ride, but I made it – cold and wet, but made it. I took a few minutes to dry off and warm myself. Then I readied for the first lesson of the day. I was in Ulla’s class for this session, a second year group that I had not been with before, so we had the basic introductory dialogues.
Following this class I had a first of a different kind, two actually. I had classes on my own. These were Ulla’s classes again but she had a meeting to attend and could not be in the classroom with me. One class was yet another that I had not been with yet, and the other I had been with them at least twice before. Both classes went well; both were third year and the students were eager to ask questions. The first-time group seemed a bit shy initially but opened up quickly once I paused for questions.
I showed this group some video from the 2010 K-State Diversity Week where a group of NSU students, Lexi, and I went to K-State’s Salina campus and did some exhibition dancing. Well, that apparently sparked some dance interest with some of the girls in the class. They asked me later, as class was leaving, if they could try some of the dances; would I help them learn. Of course, I said: “I’ll show you what I know, and you can watch more videos and we’ll try some afternoon.”

No comments:

Post a Comment