Thursday, November 11, 2010

Les Hannah, day 33, part 1

I awoke from my first evening’s sleep in the new flat. I actually felt rested and better – by better I mean not dizzy. Recall that I had been feeling dizzy for the past few days. Still I had not figured out why. I was not feeling ill, like with a cold or anything similar. I had no fever. I felt no sickness, just dizziness. And for the past several hours it had not been bad, just enough that I was aware of it. This morning I was feeling much better, not dizzy at all. I wonder if it was mold? Mold in the house. If that roof was leaking before the storm and the storm just made it worse perhaps there was mold and I was susceptible to that. Just guessing here. Anyway, I did feel much better.
So I showered and dressed, readied for school, then sat around reading and writing some before heading in. The bike ride now was much different. It took me only about five minutes as opposed to the nearly twenty-five minutes while living at the house. I had three out of four lessons today, all with Ulla’s classes. The first lesson I was off, but then had the next three back-to-back-to-back.
In the first and the third classes of today we actually read some literature, “The Witch of Goingsnake” by my friend Robert Conley. Good discussions were had about this short story. Some of the students questioned the belief in such things as sgilis, after I explained to them what a sgili is. And then that opened up a whole new dialogue, in both classes, and Truth vs truth, faith and fact, and myth/lore. The topic of Viking lore and the gods from that era came into play, and when I asked about the belief in such things as those the dialogue took a turn and a level of understanding was reached. Many of the students had their “Ahh!” moments when the focus was turned. Following the discussions in both of these classes (both third year classes) I received an ovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment