Monday, November 22, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 31

Up and out early this morning to be out before the gas maintenance guy shows -- hopefully, the last day in a run of six (but who's counting) nights of very little (if any) sleep!  I know I've only been here a month but noticed while trying to 'clean up' for the maintenance guy that I've become quite comfortable in my surroundings with assorted pieces of clothing hanging about that are best removed prior to the arrival of said gas man.  It's beginning to look more like a 'bachelorette pad' of late!  I've also become a bit free in my display and quantities of 'piles' of research.  Of course, when my family reads this, they'll understand -- given the state of disarray my house has been in for the last five years (during- and post- dissertation) -- they'll feel 'right at home' when they visit next month.   I've come to the conclusion that once home, I'm going to consolidate all of those 'piles' into ONE room and foreever more, make that my research nook.  Visions of that movie 'Proof' that Gwyneth Paltrow and Anthony Hopkins starred in -- something along the lines of that room...

It took me only a few minutes to 'tidy up' though; off I was to the office to compile some brilliant interview questions for my impending meeting with Ms. Linda Martin, a civil servant for many a year in the Department of Education (DE) in Northern Ireland.  I garnered a meeting with her through my Fulbright buddy, Eileen.  Ms. Martin works in the Policy and Planning area of the DE -- which was perfect for my research needs.  We had originally planned on meeting in my office but we walked over to the Student Union instead for 'coffee' (read one more chance for Pamela to sip tea and munch on scones) -- because, of course, I was just being a good hostess. 

We talked for an hour straight about the education system in Northern Ireland: the overall responsibiilties of the administrative branch of the DE; the Education and Library Board (funding agencies that provide capital and running costs, the management of schools, as well as being responsible for the provision of in-service teacher training and resources); curriculum and assessment; examinations [there are competitive transfer exams that take place in the last year of a child's primary education, and the General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) exams usually taken in year 12 of school (when the student is 16 years of age)] -- each exam determining where (and later) whether you go on for studies/programs; and the types of schools found in Northern Ireland (controlled, voluntary, integrated, and Irish-Medium).  I apologized for 'grilling' Ms. Martin as if it were an interview.  She came back with the obligatory Irish biting wit with a retort that I will not share here -- but suffice it to say, it was all in fun. 

She was very helpful, accommodating, and even offered to send along additional documents as well as contact the Chair of the Irish-Medium Education in the DE.  I bet she forewarns him about my interviewing scheme!  I'm really hopeful that I'll be able to meet with this gentleman as well -- and he isn't scared off by anything Ms. Martin shares with him regarding my 'grilling' techniques.  He may be able to more fully provide me with some information on the distinct characteristics and growth, the development of policies, as well as the outcomes of policies in the recent years.  I would like to further investigate the challenges facing Irish-Medium education (beyond the obvious political aspects) and see what recommendations he might suggest for the future.  As a whole, I would surmise that consolidation and collaboration would do much to advance the success of Irish-Medium education.

I have a bit more to do on transcribing my notes from this afternoon's meeting with Ms. Martin, then I may actually take in a movie at the Queen's University Theatre.  I've been meaning to do so for the last two weeks but always either lose track of time, or become so worn out that the thought of a 9:00 p.m. showing is not as exciting when the time comes as it seemed in hours or days prior.  I may also need to do some laundry before heading off to Cardiff (and subsequently Limerick and Dublin) on Wednesday.  Of course, I still have two books I need to either finish or renew before I leave.  So many choices...

No comments:

Post a Comment