Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Les Hannah, day 50, part final

Bit of a lazy morning again, at least initially. Watched a few minutes worth of television, but then did some reading. A bit later in the morning Pia and her family came by to get me. We went out to Fano Island and went amber hunting. They have a summer house on the island and go there often to relax. Don’t blame them; I would too if I lived here.
I have been told by several people that there is an ancient forest, long sunken, several kilometers out in the North Sea. And this ancient forest is the source of amber. Especially after a storm the beach at Fano is very fertile with pieces of amber of all sizes. I have to be honest here and admit that most of the pieces this day were found by someone other than me; after all, I am a rookie amber hunter, and I was hunting with seasoned veterans. I did, however, find two small pieces all by myself. My hosts were gracious enough to give me all of the pieces they found. So the lies that I will tell when I return home about all the amber I found are to be believed as if I cleared the beach of every nugget all on my own. Got that!
Following the amber hunting we went back to the summer house for a few minutes, long enough to change shoes. Then we headed to the opposite end of the island for lunch. Soren, Pia’s husband, took us to an inn that had more amazing food. You recall I have been absolutely amazed by the food here. Denmark has incredible cuisine – from simple sandwiches to elegant fine meals this country knows good food, has good food, and that alone is with a trip to Denmark. If you are into good food, forget France and come to Denmark. Soren and I split a meal designed for two; it included smoked salmon – the most incredible smoked salmon I have ever known, a soup that I may very accurately describe as nectar. I was told it was made from a potato-like vegetable (not truly a potato) that grows locally. I honestly do not remember the name, but the soup contained small bits of bacon, and the combination of those flavors made this small container of soup worth its weight in gold. The second course was highlighted by a serving of lamb. I thought I would have to travel around the world to find anything better than that soup; all I had to do was wait for our server to bring the second course. There is a god, and god orders take-out from Fano Island in Denmark.
Following this most incredible meal we returned to the summer house for a few minutes where the family had to rearrange a few things, and then we returned to the mainland and Esbjerg. We returned to the family’s home where Pia and I discussed scheduling for the remainder of my time here. Soren and I then discussed contact between Vikings and American Indians, in general, and Cherokees in specific. We did some research on the Internet, found evidence of rune stones scattered about the US – Indian Country. Vikings were in the Americas long before Columbus – that is not in question. What I think the question is, is what type of contact (direct or indirect) and with what specific Indian tribes. More research.
We capped off the evening with hamburgers and fries, a home-made dinner worthy of praise. Soren was worried (not really) that since I was so impressed with the food at the inn that his burgers would be a disappointment. The burgers were great – I had two and enjoyed every bite. Thank you Soren; thank you Pia for another fabulous day in Denmark.

No comments:

Post a Comment