Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 13

I've been busy today making contacts with people in Belfast and Dublin.  There's a really good chance that I will be visiting a place called Donabate, which is a little seaside town in county Dublin this weekend to spend some time with a woman named Gemma (and her family).  For many years, she has been passionate about Indigenous studies and has spent some time at Pine Ridge.  She terms her area of interest as "crisis of identity" and is very much a proponent of Irish Medium education (Irish immersion schools) and the traditional culture/heritage of her people.  She comes from a long line of fili (on both sides of her family) who were poets/writers of the Chieftains of Ulster.  The ancient Celts had no written language so all the information of the culture had to be learned by their poets (called fili) - a sort of storyteller.  Gemma also has done alot with the "Indigenous Peoples World Forum" - I'll have to learn more about it.  I know of an organization in Canada working for the goal of protection of water and peaceful coexistence - primarily in the upstate New York area.  It should be a very productive weekend -- I'll keep you all posted.

I've also been in contact with Linda who works as a G7 in the Irish Medium and Integrated Project Team.  Linda has worked in the area of Irish Medium Education for some time and is probably one of the most knowledgeable people on Irish Medium Education (according to my Fulbright mentor Eileen who did a 3 1/2 month stint in Ann Arbor, Michigan a couple of years ago (researching women's issues).   Linda is in the Department of Education, School Policy & Planning so I'm certain she will be a key person to interview for my research project.  Our meeting won't take place for another two weeks or so - just enough time to put together some excellent probing questions and secure a tape recorder!  

I'm off to order some pizza from Pizza Hut -- YES, Pizza Hut -- one can only eat so much fish and chips before one needs an "American food" fix.  I got a circular in this morning's mail - so I figure it's meant to be.  Of course, the menu has all sorts of 'interesting' selections - not exactly what I'm accustomed to.  I'm sure I can order just plain cheese.  My plan is to hunker down for an early night of pizza and read a book on the 'politics of language in Ireland' since I'll be up really early for my 7:00 a.m. trip to the St. George's Market for fish and veggies.    

No comments:

Post a Comment