Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Les Hannah, day 48, part final

I had a relatively busy day at school today. I was in three of the four periods – well sort of. The fourth lesson was cancelled because of the high percentage of absences. It seems that two of the teachers for this class were away at training or conferences or something of the sort, and most of the students took advantage of the situation to leave early or extend their weekend by a day. Not faulting them for that, just making an observation. I might have done the same had I been in their shoes. The teacher and I rescheduled this visit for my last full week.
The first two periods were both with Kent. He took about the first fifteen minutes in both classes to do some housekeeping sort of things, and then I joined the classes and addressed questions the students had. I like this sort of interaction where the students drive the dialogue. I like to see how their minds are working. The first class had read some literature, yes a little Robert Conley, but this time something other than “Witch of Goingsnake;” they had taken up that particular work the last time I was with them. I like this class; this is one of the more inquisitive classes. Several students in here ask questions, good questions that have depth: questions that make me have to think about the answers I present. I also like the way this particular class approached the literature. It was in a manner very similar I might have used in a literary criticism style class. Some of the questions were from a very colonial/post colonial perspective, and a few from a quite advanced level of feminist criticism. I am not sure if these students knew exactly what they were doing, by that I mean applying literary criticism, or if they were just asking questions as they came to mind; no matter – they were good questions and I really enjoyed this session.
One question in particular I enjoyed was about religion and how Native theological beliefs compare to Christianity and other religions. This is something I know a little about; this is (to some degree) what I lectured on during my time at Oxford a few years ago. Once again while trying to answer this question I turned to Ohiyesa’s “Soul of the Indian.” I really like this work for its simplicity; pretty much just tells it like it is. I would recommend “Soul of the Indian” be read by every living human being. Takes only about thirty minutes to read the entire thing and it can change perspectives.
Following the day’s class commitment I worked in my office for a few minutes, doing a few things to prepare for forthcoming events next week. I now have another presentation added to my calendar. I will be in three different meetings or forums of some sort on three successive days next week. Only two days of classroom time and then the remainder of the week on the road.
Back to the flat; another school week in the books. Only two more full weeks to go for me. Hard to believe it is almost to the end already. In many ways I feel like I am just getting warmed up. By that I mean the students are finally starting to open up with driving questions. This again goes back to their confidence in their English as a second language skills and certainly not a lack of academic ability.
In their fundamental studentness these Danes are no different from Americans and their studentness. There are differences of course, subtle differences in culture and obviously language. But certainly no difference is what makes them students. They want better, and they see education as a means to that. In some of the discussions I have had with these students, however, the subtle differences emerge. Most American students will say they want an education so they can get a better job, which almost always means more money. Degree = money. Here most of the students have told me they want an education so they can have a better life. When I asked what they meant by that, i.e. “Do you mean more money?, most answered no, not necessarily. The most common answer I got went something like this: More money would be nice sure, but what we want is a better way of life.
A better way of life. I like that answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment