Monday, November 15, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 24

I spent a bit of the morning on a wild goose chase trying to pick up a package that my husband had sent me.  Last Thursday, the postman had missed me, leaving behind the post card that instructed me to pick up my parcel at the Botanic post office.  It also noted that I would have to wait 24 hours before doing so.  I didn't actually see the postcard until late Friday afternoon and getting to the post office in time was not possible.  Saturday, I was in Ballymena, so that left today to fetch my package.  After walking about 15 minutes' walk, I arrived at the post office on Botanic Avenue, waited in line behind about ten people and was promptly told by the postal worker (once I arrived at the counter) that it wasn't at this station, it was at the Botanic Station which was the post office next to the Student Union.  So, I trudged back to the University and arrived at the post office across from the Student Union, only to be told by the postal worker that it wasn't there, that it would be at the station on Botanic Avenue.  Needless to say, I still don't have my package - something about a bomb scare that disrupted mail delivery and they're behind schedule - and I'm supposed to call a number provided to me with my tracking number for the package and (hopefully -- that was the word the postal worker used) they'll be able to "find" my package.

I also "topped up" both my electricity card, and my gas card to the tune of £50 pounds (i.e. ~ $90) since both are showing low readings.  To "top off" a card - (each card is specifically calibrated to units found in your apartment) - you go to a corner supermarket or post office, plop down a certain amount of pounds, and the clerk recalibrates your card to reflect the new balance.  Once you've "topped up" the card, you return home and follow a few easy steps of punching in numbers and poking certain buttons and putting your card in a slot -- resulting in your unit being "topped up" to reflect the new balance.  Wish me luck!

This afternoon, I attended another of the Institute of Irish Studies seminars entitled, "Ni cothram na Feinne e sin.  Literally, this is Irish for "It's not cricket".  The seminar dealt with the lexicography of colonial culture in Ireland from the perspective of the term "cricket" in dictionaries and such.  Not to bore those who may not be as interested in this rousing topic as I - but in a nutshell, we discussed the political (and cultural) understanding of how certain terms are used and when.  Now to clarify - lexicography is divided into two related disciplines;  the seminar began as a discussion of lexicography from a purely practical perspective but morphed into theoretical lexicography, as well. -- Absolutely brilliant on the part of the speaker - I must say. 

Also, the cultural renewal of "Cultural Purity" (1900-1950) and subsequent "cultural thaw" of the 1950's to today affected how a game, deemed by many to embody Anglicization (and colonization) and was perceived (especially by those who were culturally sensitive to that which is purely Irish) to be a corrupt, degeration of a West British connection to colonization.  Interestingly, one part of the conversation revolved around how cricket was and is a big part of the Australian and Indian culture today (wholly colonized) but not of American or Irish culture (both of which rebelled against English rule) .

I rounded out my day by spending two hours (and an unnamed amount of money) in the bookstore!  Zac - I am certain you would undoubtedly - like me -- be in heaven.  This evening, if I've enough energy, I plan to attend a showing of "The Arbor" at the Queens University Theatre.  More on that later... Slan!  

No comments:

Post a Comment