Sunday, November 28, 2010

Les Hannah, day 58, part final

This morning was cold. Colder than usual. And the snow is flirting with falling more seriously. I heard talk of lots of snow in Aarhus, where I just was a few days ago. It was snowing a little then, and quite cold, but word is it will be colder and snowing more, even here in Esbjerg, soon.
Regardless of the cold and the snow I made my way to school; had a meeting this morning with some of the administration concerning Danish students coming to NSU for a cultural exchange program. We discussed a few students potentially for the Summer 2011 sessions, particularly the Cherokee Programs summer “camp” style classes. Summer of 2010 we ran a limited set of offerings in two week sessions. This coming year the Cherokee Program group has discussed three week sessions, which would give students more social time and more time for activities. Plus it will allow students to absorb and reflect more on the actual experiences. That comes directly from student feedback. So, back to the discussions about the Danish students; we discussed having only a few come, perhaps 10 or so, maybe more during later seasons, but the preliminary plan is in the works for the first wave of students from Esbjerg.
I had only one lesson  today, shortly after the meeting. It was with a class I had been in before but this time with a different teacher. Unna, the teacher, wanted me to spend time with this class discussion the difference I have noticed in American systems and Danish systems. I had been in this class about three other times before, so they knew me, which helped to open an immediate line of dialogue. The discussions were good. So many of these students are now much more comfortable with me and readily converse, whereas before they hardly spoke. I repeat what I have said all along, it is not a lack of English skills but a confidence issue in those skills. I like these students here, and I will miss them when I leave.
So we finished out this class, rounded off the discussions before lunch and called it a class. I had lunch at the school and talked with some of the teachers before I had to leave to take care of some pre-departure business.
I am getting close to the end of my time here, and with that comes the end-of-time business. I went to the property management offices, which are just around the corner from the school, to get an estimate on the utilities charges. We worked out a better way to close out; the day before I leave I will go to the office and they will have an up-to –the-minute bill for me and give me the last day free; I will still have one day (actually more like sixteen hours) before I leave Esbjerg.
From the property management office to the bank; there I had to make preparations for the closing of the account. There is no further expected mail so a visit to the postal office were not necessary. A few other minor errands were necessary, but those were easily handled. And once I had handled them I grabbed a quick bite to eat at a little kiosk grill just a few blocks from my flat. I returned to the flat and settled in for the evening. I actually began to pack some things, clothes I knew I would no longer wear while here. That gave me a much more immediate sense of departure and also set me to reflecting more on my time here. So of the questions in the class today were exactly about that – my time here and what my impressions of Denmark are.
I love Denmark.

No comments:

Post a Comment