Sunday, November 28, 2010

Les Hannah, day 51, part final

Back to school. I had the first three periods today, one with Joan and two with Pia. The classes went well, as they have for some time now. Not to say that the classes have never gone well, but they became better when the students began to get more comfortable with me. That comfort level makes a huge difference in the progress of students. It is clear to me, has been for some time but the immediate evidence I have witnessed here has taught me it is more important than I have given it credit for in the past. I have always thought I was a good teacher (not to sound narcissistic) but I always felt I had a feel for the pulse or personality of a class. Here I have seen quick evidence that the students’ trust in the teacher is also paramount for learning.  These students have (I think) become more comfortable with me and have opened up. Granted they have different reasons for being timid or distant (initially) than American student normally do. These students were initially concerned about their English skills and that caused them to be hesitant. However, they are now more forward in their confidence and thus their English skills, which were not bad to begin with.
Now American students, university level mind you, I think are initially timid but for different reasons; I think it is because they are unprepared for the rigors of university studies. I know I was when I first entered the world of academe, and I can only imagine it has become worse since the advent of No Child Left Behind. (I really hate that high-stakes testing system of education.)
So I say this to my Danish students here in Esbjerg. Have confidence in yourselves.
And I say this to my American students back home at NSU. Have confidence in yourselves.
And I say this to my colleagues both here in Denmark and at home – especially at home. Have confidence in your students. Your attitude toward them makes all the difference in their minds, and that makes all the difference in the world – their worlds.
Following classes I returned briefly to the flat where I deposited my things and then headed into the city just to walk around. I felt like walking; it was a nice day, though it was raining this morning the sun came out in the afternoon and the day warmed up nicely – too nice just to sit inside. I had no particular destination, just went walking. During this walk I discovered another tidbit of information. I have come to feel very comfortable here in Esbjerg. Not because of the city but because of the people. What I mean is this: when I walk around in Tahlequah I see so many people I know and they know me. That has come to happened here in Esbjerg, at least to some degree. The past few times I have gone into town I have heard my name called from across the street or within a store. I like knowing people, being able to go somewhere and have people I can talk to. Lexi is like that too; that child does not know a stranger. Could not have cloned one any more like me.
I finished my walk and returned to the flat to settle in for the evening. Did some reading and watched a little television before calling it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment