Monday, November 15, 2010

Les Hannah, day 41, part 2

The pre-party festivities began around 6pm, well doors opened then. The first of this evening’s events was a dinner with alumni. Faculty and graduates of this school gathered in the cafeteria for a catered meal. I must confess I was impressed, not only with the food (which was great, of course – I am telling you these Danes know good food) but with the numbers of alumni who returned to support the school. There were over 200 at the dinner alone. I have no idea how many came later for the party, but 200+ for an event like this has been unheard of at the institutions where I have previously been. At alumni functions I am accustomed to if I see 100 that is a good crowd. And given the size of this school versus the size of the American universities where I have been that makes the attendance at this function even more phenomenal. Remember, the population of this school is around 500 or so. The population of many American universities is in the tens of thousands. Given the per capita percentage this is very impressive to me.
During the dinner there was a DJ playing, what else, 80s hits. And to be quite honest many of the songs he played I had not heard since the 80s. I was actually keeping score for a while of the songs I had not likely heard in thirty years; I ran out of fingers. During the dinner and the 80s music the faculty and alumni were seated around the cafeteria enjoying each others’ company. Many, and I mean many, people were dressed in 80s attire. Several people asked me where was my 80s attired and I answered them honestly: “I’m wearing it.” I was wearing jeans and a casual shirt. Kind of sad huh; my wardrobe has not changed in thirty years.  Oh well.
But perhaps the most impressive thing of the evening was when the actual party got started. There was more DJ music and a live band that played a bit later. But the festivities did not wait for the band; these students, former and current, and the faculty were partying together and having a great time. I must say as well that I completely enjoyed myself. I will state that right up front. This was certainly a night to remember.
And here are the details. Before this evening, when I had been asked if I was going to the party the answer always went something like this: “Yes, but I am just going to watch.” That was usually in response to the tag question of “Are you going to dance.” I have not danced at anything other than powwows in many, many, MANY years, and I truly had no intentions of dancing this night. However, dear friends, that would all change. I danced disco. I suppose it was inevitable. I am not complaining; I am just, well I guess surprised. Now this may sound like some fantasy concocted by a for…, oh wait – twenty-five year old man (wink, wink) but I promise you it happened. I was surrounded by girls most all evening. A group, gang of them surrounded me when I went into the party just to check it out. I had not been there but a few seconds when I was mobbed. They dragged me (kicking and screaming every step of the way) out onto the dance floor where I spent the next several minutes having the time of my life.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it appropriate[ly amusing] you use the phrase "having the time of my life" given you were dancing the night away -- hearkens back to the Dirty Dancing movie lyrics ..."Now I've had the time of my life, no I never felt like this before, yes I swear it's the truth, and I owe it all to [my Dane studeents]." -- Pamela

    ReplyDelete