Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Les Hannah, day 24, part final

I walked about this city for the better part of the next three hours, aimlessly wandering up one street and down another. Finding very narrow old-country streets that barely three people abreast could walk through. Along these streets were small “mom and pop” style shops. I found my way to the University of Oslo, and discovered a peculiar familiarity walking on a university campus. Though it was a place I had never before been, and these people knew nothing of me I felt an inexplicable comfort knowing I was on a university campus. I spent a short while there watching the students and professors walk about, going from point A to point B. I took notice of a very large and unique work of metal art prominently displayed in front of what I assumed to be the main entrance. Photos, of course, were taken and are displayed on my Facebook page.

I then walked a ways farther up the hill, all the while thinking I was still on the University’s campus; little did I know I had made my way onto the grounds of the Palace where the King and Queen lived. I was not trespassing as people were walking around everywhere; apparently the grounds are open, but it quickly became clear that this was no longer the University. The Palace Guards were marching back and forth at the entrance of the building, which was massive by the way, but honestly looked little different from the architecture of the University’s buildings. In other words it did not have a palatial look to it, at least not to me. Certainly no more so than the University’s library.

Well, at least I had seen the palace. Funny thing happened on the way back toward the city centre here. I did walk past the Norwegian Parliament building, and seeing a sign that announced tours from 10am – 6pm (it was only a bit past 5 at this point) I decided I would see about a tour. After all several people were walking right in, people who looked, at least in my eyes, to be as much of a tourist as was I. However, as I entered the building and was about to make my way into the interior of the Parliament Building I asked how long the tour was, and the guard asked, “What tour?” Further dialogue revealed that the tours posted on the sign out front were on selected Saturdays only. What I was about to walk into was a meeting of Parliament. Having a somewhat serious “Oh Crap” moment, I quickly excused myself before armed guards came to show me where the exit was. I am certain that would not have happened because I did not breech any security; I simply followed people to the first ring of security and asked a question, but I was not about to take any chances. So out the door I went. I actually had a pretty good laugh about that. But I was laughing as I was walking, quickly, in the opposite direction.

And I kept walking toward the harbor to find out about passage on a ship back to Denmark the next day. It was quite a walk to the harbor, and by the time I got there my feet sure were tired. Let’s face it, I had walked many miles over the past few days. But I had miles to go before I sleep. (Notice how those literary allusions just tend to slip in from time to time?) So I was able to book passage on a ship to Frederickshavn, Denmark for the next evening, but it turns out that the night of my voyage was also student cruise night, or a booze cruise, for the students of Oslo University. They were also on some sort of Autumn break and the very night I wanted to get back to Denmark was also the night of their boozer. Well, just so long as my feet are on Danish soil the next morning.

OK, so that was set and it was time to head back to the hotel and get some sleep. I had been pushing it quite hard for the past few days and it felt as if the miles, kilometers were catching up with me. After a hot shower it was no long before I was out cold. Hot shower – out cold: get it. Ah heck, good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment