Monday, November 15, 2010

Les Hannah, day 41, part final

When I was not out on the dance floor I was engaged in extremely exciting and stimulating conversations with many of the students out in the hallways. Again I was mobbed. I could not walk two steps without being calling into a conversation about something. I discussed American politics and their global ramifications, contrasting and competing cultures/complimenting cultures, the role of religion in national identity, the existence of god, belief in the supernatural, who would win in a fight between Spiderman and Batman, sports, academics, self-esteem – dear god you would not believe the conversations I had. These kids are smart. I mean smart. I had a great time just talking to them. And I even asked some of them why they did not speak up like this in the classrooms when we were in session. They confirmed what I had suspected all along. They were intimidated by my persona in the class. One young man said he knows his English skills are not so good, and then to speak in front of the entire class to an American who has a PhD was, well he said frightening. He froze up when in the class. He said, “I’m no dummy, I just get nervous.” It was very clear he was no “dummy.” I had a great conversation with him. I remember him from class, and he did muster the courage to ask a question. It was a rather simple, but a well timed and solid question. I responded by saying, “That’s a good question,” and then I proceeded to answer it. He told me while I was talking to him at the party that in the moment I responded to him in class he felt proud. He said, “It felt good – you said I asked a good question.” Well, it was a good question. But he said he had never been bragged on. All I said was “that’s a good question” and it may have changed his life.
Other conversations I had with many – MANY – students during the evening confirmed what I have suspected all along: these students are sharp. I mean really bright. In this social setting they really opened up to me and talked, I mean just talked, and in those moments of social interaction their lights shined through. In between these flashes of brilliance I found myself dragged back out onto the dance floor multiple times.
From this night’s festivities I have drawn what I think is a very important conclusion: Danes know what life is, and they know how to live it. I shall make more definitive conclusions as I draw near the end of my time here, but I have a good foundation to a solid conclusion now. I have seen much of Denmark, geographically and demographically, and I like the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment